In 2016, The Seattle Public Library launched an online Seattle music collection called PlayBack and the growing collection of albums by local artists are available for free download and streaming through the library.
The Library seeks works that reflect the rich variety of genres represented in Seattle’s music scene. Broad and inclusive submission criteria is detailed on PlayBack’s Information for Artists page. This music collection is intended to reflect the diversity and abundance of Seattle’s music scene.
The jury for this submission period includes:
- Jonathan Zwickel – Freelance writer at Pitchfork, Thrillist, and KEXP
- Liz Riley Tollefson – Founder and Contributor, Three Imaginary Girls
- Sharlese Metcalf – Seattle Music Commissioner, Education Coordinator at KEXP, DJ for Expansions on KEXP
- Kelly O – Storyteller, Photographer, and Local Music Superfan, Kelly O Photography
- Chris Govella – DJ at Night Shift, Night Shift
The jury also has members of The Seattle Public Library staff who share a passion for and background in music:
- Abby Bass – Adult Librarian in Arts, Recreation, and Literature and PlayBack Lead
- Kathleen Morley – Selection Services Librarian for Adult Music
- Cameron McCracken – Library Associate II, Music Enthusiast
- Kreg Hasegawa – Adult Librarian in Virtual and Information Services
- Kristy Gale – Teen Services Librarian, DJ BookMarx, melophile
- Daniel Sohn – Library Associate II
- Marcos Chavez – Library Associate II
All Seattle-area musicians who record or perform in the city of Seattle are invited to submit a music album. The album must contain four or more songs and have been produced within the last five years. If an album is accepted, the artist will receive an honorarium of $200. Selected albums in the PlayBack collection will be discoverable through the Library’s online catalog and highlighted through the Library’s social media channels. Artists will also have opportunities to perform live at Library events.
HOW TO SUBMIT MUSIC
To find out how to submit music to the Library’s PlayBack platform, click HERE.
Funding for PlayBack has been made possible with the generous support of The Seattle Public Library Foundation.
For more information about Seattle Public Library, click here or call 206-386-4636.